The hard economic times and limited financial options have meant that fewer consumers can afford to buy new cars. Most drivers are hanging onto their cars for a long time and this means car owners who have to make repairs that are more regular on their vehicles. Many consumers are tackling most of the basic repairs and maintenance themselves in an attempt to save costs.
By carrying out these basic car care tips, you can ensure that your car remains in good condition for a long time. It is, however, important to make sure that you take your car to the mechanic once or twice in a year depending on your usage. The expert will be able to handle problems that are beyond your expertise.
• Make sure that you have your owner’s manual before you start making any repairs. The manual offers a comprehensive care guide, which will offer you guidance during the service. The manufacturer will also recommend the tasks that are best left to experts.
• While regular gasoline is adequate for most cars, if you have a luxury car, you should always make sure that you use the gas that is recommended by the manufacturers. In most cases, they will recommend a premium gasoline. Using gasoline that is not recommended will affect the cars performance negatively.
• By avoiding aggressive driving, you will ensure that your brakes experience less wear and tear. Sudden braking will lead to a high cost of repairs. You can replace or change the brake pads yourself which will save you more than what it will cost you to have a mechanic do the job. You will, however, need to invest in the right tools to get the job done successfully.
• Check your tires regularly to make sure they are in good condition. You should invest in a tire pressure gauge, which will help you to check the air in your tires. Make sure that you buy good quality tires for your car. You can find out where to buy tires from various sources such as the internet or from car magazines.
• Check your car air filter to make sure it is not clogged with dust or dirt. Replacing the filter is a simple task you can accomplish yourself and it will help to ensure that the car runs efficiently. If the car wipers are leaving streaks on the windshield, you should replace them.
Before you carry out repairs on your car, you need to determine if it is actually cheaper to do it yourself, or to take the car to a mechanic.